Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Goodbye Go

On this morning, I just completely wiped away the Go compiler from my computer after finishing the Rust rewritten of my very useful ID3v2 editor, then written in Go. Now I have no tools written in Go anymore.

I consider I spent way too much time banging my head against the wall writing Windigo, trying to write a decent API. Go is way too limited, its lack of expressiveness won’t allow you to write any decent API more complex than a simple CRUD. And Win32 is hard. Windigo reached a point where there was nothing else I could do to make the API better – it was so bad it actually pushed me back to C++, where all my uneasiness started.

Another upsetting fact I noticed is that Go programmers tend to be unexperienced people. Beginners with trivial questions. Very demotivating.

I think anyone talking to me at this point would label me a “Go hater”. And as such, I can no more invest my scarce time in it. I remember in the early Windigo days I was completely in love with Go, with its first lines being written in my then girlfriend’s laptop. Yes, I installed the compiler there, and I don’t remember if it’s still there.

I plan to leave Windigo repo, and all its open issues, abandoned for a while. Maybe someone forks it and keeps it going. In the future, I will archive it, and I hope I never have to write Go ever again.

And that’s a shame, because “Windigo” is one of the coolest project names I ever came up with.

No comments: