Monday, September 16, 2019

Rust for C++ programmers in 30 minutes

From time to time I get back to studying Rust, which looks like a good alternative to the unthinkable complexity of C++ for native programming, which even after about 20 years, still upsets me tremendously. From the perspective of a seasoned C++ programmer like me, the Rust concept of lifetimes has been particularly esoteric.

Fortunately, I found a great resource online today:

30 minutes of Introduction to Rust for C++ programmers

It’s a very concise online book with direct comparisons between C++ and Rust codes, exactly what I was after. It explains Rust basic concepts by direct comparison to C++, what greatly helps. Although you’ll need a little over 30 minutes to properly digest it, it’s well worth reading, and I consider to be the greatest introductory material so far to C++ programmers who want to dig into Rust.

Props to vnduongthanhtung, who authored the book back in 2017.

No comments: