Thursday, July 14, 2011

uTorrent is dead

Last month, my uTorrent client – actually written as “µTorrent” – updated itself to version 3. Well, I always was a huge uTorrent fan, mainly because it’s simple and lightweight, as its slogan says.

But after that update, I had a surprise.

The new uTorrent interface showed itself full of gadgets, lots of new buttons and a bunch of useless new features – I totally hated all that stuff. What about that slogan? It took me some time to figure out how to hide all that stuff from my eyes, so that I would see only the torrent list. After a couple weeks, I began considering rollback to the previous version.

The last stable version of the 2.x branch is uTorrent 2.2.1 build 25302, which albeit has a bug where the tray icon never goes away, corrects some memory leak bugs from 2.2, among others.

Since the new versions probably will remain bloated, I’ll stick with 2.2.1 until I find another client worth changing – at this moment, I doubt I’ll find one. Also, after completely remove 3 and install 2.2.1, I instantly noticed a performance increase: version 2.2.1, being much more simple, is faster as well.

Quoting Leonardo, simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

No comments: