Then yesterday I took a different direction and it came to my mind the idea of assembling a balanced string set, thus fixing the problem with the heavy G string. I know that there are commercial balanced sets, but they just alleviate the problem, not fixing it. I found this excellent post on Jemsite, where the guy made a comprehensive chart with all D’Addario sets and tension of each string. The .008 data confirmed what my fingers already knew: the G string is much heavier than it should. Also, the A string is slightly heavier, but I really didn’t felt it that much.
What I can’t really understand is why all the string sets are so unbalanced, and why so few people complain about it.
In order to find the right gauge to balance my .008 set, I found a handy online calculator for string tension, not very intuitive, but accurate. With it, I found the gauge of .013 for the G string, instead of the .015, to balance my .008 set. The B string of an ordinary .010 set – D’Addario EXL110 – is exactly .013, so if I buy such a set I could pick the B string and use it. Also, the D string is a .026 gauge, which could replace my current A of .030, making my set more even.
After replacing these two strings, and loosening the spring claw and the truss rod a bit, my JP6 felt a lot better. Instant gratification. The heaviness of the G is finally gone, the bends are easier, and the slightly loosened A added a very smooth feel to the wound strings. And I love loose strings. Here is the tension chart comparison:
Ordinary (unbalanced) .008 set: E: .008" [PL] = 10.38 pounds B: .010" [PL] = 09.10 pounds G: .015" [PL] = 12.90 pounds D: .021" [NW] = 12.05 pounds A: .030" [NW] = 14.05 pounds E: .040" [NW] = 12.11 pounds Total tension = 70.59 pounds
My balanced .008 set: E: .008" [PL] = 10.38 pounds B: .010" [PL] = 09.10 pounds G: .013" [PL] = 09.68 pounds D: .021" [NW] = 12.05 pounds A: .026" [NW] = 11.23 pounds E: .040" [NW] = 12.11 pounds Total tension = 64.55 poundsAnd I’m not thinking about the Jem anymore. By now.